Thai Pasta Salad (From Casual Kitchen)
Posted November 1, 2009on:
Photo by Stephanie Chung
The Silly Nutrition Undergrad has moved. Come to Juicy Fresh Bites for new content on health and nutrition!
I’m constantly on the lookout for new ways to enjoy pasta. A few days ago I came across Casual Kitchen and found this amazing Thai Pasta Salad. It takes only a few minutes to put together and the flavour is so light and refreshing, perfect for a lazy and relaxing Saturday lunch!
The recipe itself is already a healthy and well-balanced lunch option. But to make it even more nutritious, I decided to use whole wheat spaghetti to boost the fiber content and also added in more vegetables and skipped out on the meat (I’m trying to cut down my meat consumption :))
As for the dressing, I followed the instructions precisely and it turned out really tasty (only a tad bit more sour than I would have liked, so I’ll probably use less lemon juice next time around).
Note: The original recipe made clear that the cilantro is an essential part of the salad — I totally agree! It really enhances the dressing’s flavour and really pulls the dish together. (Don’t even think about skipping cilantro, it’s a must!)
Thai Pasta Salad
You will need:
- 2cup broccoli, cut into mini florets
- 1 cup sweet peppers, diced
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 – 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 4-6 oz whole wheat spaghetti
To make the dressing…
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp hot chili sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. During the last minute, add in the broccoli.
- In the meantime, you can cook the vegetables and prepare the dressing.
- Heat olive oil in small non-stick skillet, sauté onions until slightly soften. Add in garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant. add in sweet peppers and cook until slightly softened. Remove from heat, add in remaining ingredients to finish making the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the pasta and broccoli is ready, add them to the skillet and stir well. Stir in cilantro leaves.
- Served at room temperature or chilled. Serves 2 (big generous servings, loaded with veggies!)
I really enjoyed the Oriental flavour of the dressing. I highly recommend adding in broccoli into the salad as it really soaks up the dressing!
For next time, I’m planning to add in a difference mix of vegetables and substituting rice noodles or vermicelli for the pasta. Yummy!